Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Comfort Food: Potato Soup

I have been craving potato soup lately.  My mom used to make an awesome chunky version.  I wanted something different though, something a little creamier.  After finding two recipes I found interesting, I merged them together and made my own tweaks.  Here's what I came up with.

Before you begin, please note that the more bacon, the better!!


Ingredients
6 slices Thin Bacon, Cut Into 1-inch Pieces
1/2 Medium Onion, Diced
1 tablespoon of garlic
1 cup of carrots, Diced
3 stalks Celery, Diced
2-3 whole Small Russet Potatoes, Peeled (this is your preference) And Diced
2 cup of frozen cauliflower (if you do three potatoes, don't do the cauliflower)
2-3 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth (depending on how thick you want it)
1/2 teaspoon Salt, More To Taste
 Black Pepper To Taste
1/2 teaspoon Cajun Spice Mix
1 teaspoon Minced Fresh Parsley
1 cup Grated Cheese Of Your Choice (white cheddar or pepper jack is recommended)

Preparation Instructions

1) Cook bacon and set aside
2) Add the onions, garlic, carrots, and celery to a pot and saute until translucent. Stir and cook for 2 minutes or so, then add the diced potatoes. Cook for 5 minutes, seasoning with salt, pepper, and Cajun spice.
3) Pour in the broth and bring it to a gentle boil. Cook for 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are starting to get tender. 
4) Remove half to 2/3 the soup and blend in a blender/food process until completely smooth. (This is where I used an immersion blender.)
5)Pour it back into the soup pot and stir to combine. Let it heat back up as you taste for seasonings, adding more of what it needs. Then stir in parsley, reserving a little for garnish.
6) Serve in bowls garnished with parsley, grated cheese and crisp bacon pieces.
Enjoy!
xx,
KMH

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious! People never believe that I don't like bacon, but I've started to like it recently...

    x. jill
    beck daily

    ReplyDelete